Happy Pancake Day!Posted: 21 February 2012
I flippin’ love Pancake day! This year my brother Chris came over to make them with me and what a feast it was!
We started off with spinach pikelets – half were plain and half had cheddar cheese and spring onion in them.
They were followed by a plate of regular pancakes which we topped with various combinations of Nutella, peanut butter, banana, lemon, sugar and squirty cream – hubba hubba!
And finally we watched the Pancake Day episode of the classic BBC 1 children’s TV series Maid Marian and her Merry Men. Perfect!
The regular pancake recipe was taken from my very old and battered copy of Vegetarian Grub on a Grant by Cas Clarke (using gluten-free flour as a substitute for wheat flour). The spinach pikelets were inspired by this Green Pancakes recipe and my version is as follows:
- 3 eggs
- 3 lumps of frozen spinach, defrosted
- 130g gluten-free flour (I used Doves Farm gluten-free flour)
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- To serve: side salad and dressing, soft cheese (e.g. Philadelphia), sweet chilli sauce
What to do
- Whizz the eggs and spinach in a blender.
- Put in a bowl and mix with the flour until you have a thick, smooth batter.
- Divide into two bowls and add the spring onions and cheddar cheese to one half of the mixture.
- Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan. When hot, dollop large spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and cook until brown on both sides.
- Serve with the salad. We would recommend slathering the plain ones with soft cheese and drizzling sweet chilli sauce on top, mmmmm.